Thailand News 08.08.08
Here are some Thailand items in the news lately:
- Thailand’s former prime minister’s wife has been given a jail sentence for tax fraud.
- If you’ve ever wondered why there was no worldwide symposium on fireflies, wonder no more – Thailand will host the world’s first firefly conference later this month in Chiang Mai.
- Two people were injured last weekend when seven bombs went off near 7-11 stores in two different towns in southern Thailand.
- The prime minister of Thailand has made some big changes to his cabinet, involving 11 cabinet posts, in an attempt to stave off calls for his resignation.
- Tension continues between Cambodia and Thailand over a temple in a disputed region near the border.
- John Cusack is in Thailand making a movie called “Shanghai” right now.
- After a teenager in Thailand killed a taxi driver and stole his car, the Thai distributors of Grand Theft Auto IV have pulled the game from store shelves throughout the country.
- Thailand has nominated the 2nd temple in the disputed border region with Cambodia to be a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Although it used to be a relatively easy (and cheap) procedure to obtain at any age, castration is now banned for boys under the age of 18 in Thailand.
- A helicopter has crashed in southern Thailand, killing all 10 military officers on board.